Friday 25 July 2008

Character Soul Part 2

Back again on this soul issue but I will keep it a bit shorter this time. I talked a lot today with some current and former guild members that I have had the pleasure to play with throughout the years and even though this is far from scientific it seems like some of my points are valid. For instance. An old guildie of mine with no less than six level 70 characters told me this: "Of course my first character is the one I hold closest to my heart but, I do feel that two of my alts has what you call a soul. They were both created pre TBC so they have been around for quite some time. The other three is more or less toys that I enjoy playing. They are a part of my quest to get a character to max level of all classes. Perhaps it's because I got somewhat sloppy and didn't pay much attention to what I was doing like the first few times around". So sure. Maybe I was wrong about the main to be the only character with soul but there might be something there still. Maybe TBC did come at the cost of the character soul. I went to talk to a fellow mage who started playing wow as late as August last year.

"Does my character have a soul you say? Are you alright man because it seems to me you got a screw loose. I have a soul and when I talk to you its me that’s talking and not my toon". I guess it kind of blew up in my face there. But I had faith that more people was on the same level as me. So I continue my interview spree and got back to another old school player.

"I can relate to what you are saying and I did feel that way also. When I was raiding SSC and TK with you I felt like my character had a soul as you put it. But then we did a server transfer and it felt like all that went away. Same character, new name. The cities looked the same but not the population. I recently transferred back to our old server and it was like I came home. My character got his soul back and I enjoy the game more now than what I did on that transfer. I don't have any alts but maybe that’s not the problem?"

So from the first three interviews I got one confirmation one maybe and one smack in the fece. Maybe not the best turnout thus far. I did a couple more interviews but could not really gather anymore useful information. Turns out that not all agree that characters even have a soul to begin with and some say that it all depends on who is behind that keyboard. I even got a few:
RP server is that way -->

Next time I take on this subject I think I'm going to try break new ground and ask these questions to people I DON'T know.

No comments: